Monday, January 26, 2009

pro-life/pro-choice.

Today after my english exam, I went back to bre's house to get lifted with her over some gravities. As usual, we got into a political debate. This time it was about abortion. The conversation led into this while she was discussing God and faith. (Side note: Bre and I are both very stubborn individuals, but this applies to me in a different sense than it does to her. I don't know when to stop trying to make people see a different way; She doesn't know when to stop trying to make people see her way.) She started off by saying that preservation of life is of the utmost importance and it is a gift/miracle that no one should have the right to take away from somebody, especially when that somebody doesn't have a voice of their own to speak for them, yet.
I countered this with a light-hearted joke, "If you're against aborting a pregnancy when the fetus is not much else besides a bundle of cells, you must be against transplants." She pressed on and so I entertained the argument with the notions of separating Church from State. This is America. Not one of our laws or amendments are influenced or dominated by religion. If you would like to live in a country where religion presides over all else, I suggest you move to a third-world country. With freedom of religion comes freedom of choice. We cannot please all of the pissed off Christians and Catholics by making abortion illegal without promoting the idea that one religion is more dominant or more powerful in this country than another. I continued by pointing out that her belief in the preservation of life has sprouted from her religion and not everyone shares the same beliefs as her. It almost seemed as if she was disgusted or baffled even, by the idea of someone who did not/could not believe in God.
If you take away a woman's right to choose to abort a pregnancy, you also take away her freedom of religion. Women have come so far in the past 100 years, to take away a woman's right to choose is a taking a step backwards. Of course there was no persuading my friend, but I knew that prior to initiating the conversation. A strong faith in God tends to transcend all else; It even clouds and blinds people's perceptions of non-believers. I tried my very best to show her that religion should not mix with politics, but often does. I tried to illustrate how impossible it would be to submit to one person's religion without pissing off another individual's. In a country as vast and diverse as America, individuals such as my friend Bre need to be more tolerant and apprehending of the concept of separating church from state.
Feel free to disagree.
I will surely let your ideas coexist with my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment